Daily Archives: June 22, 2016

Recognizing Elder Abuse and Getting the Help You Need

If you or any of your loved ones have experienced any of the following situations or have been hurt, abused, attacked, neglected or mistreated, you (or they) may be a victim of Elder Abuse. Common Forms of Elder Abuse Physical Abuse: Being hit, pushed around, tripped, pinched or having your hair pulled. Entrapment and Imprisonment: Not being allowed to leave the home when you want. Feeling trapped. Not being able to get away from somebody when they’re angry at you because they follow you around. Being cornered in a room and not being able to get away from a person’s anger or rage. Emotional and Psychological Abuse: Being yelled at. Being blamed for problems that aren’t your fault. Being made to feel bad about yourself, guilty, or responsible for the problems of others that simply aren’t your fault. Financial Abuse: Having money stolen for you. Being over-billed for services. Having your signature forged. Being tricked or coerced into signing documents. When a loved one is given documents to sign, when they are not emotionally or mentally able to make decisions for themselves is also a form of financial abuse. Neglect: Not having your physical needs met by somebody who is responsible for doing so. This can mean not being fed, not being helped to the bathroom, or not being rolled over in a bed frequently enough to prevent bedsores when you are not able to move yourself. Neither You nor Your Loved Ones need to Suffer You don’t have to stand for that kind of treatment, and we’re here to help. Its critical that you contact us as soon as possible to help put an immediate stop to the problem, and to keep things from getting worse. How to get help, today Once you recognize that there is an issue, time […]

It can be hard to recognize elder abuse.

Estate planning is a necessity for unmarried couples

Estate Planning is a necessity for unmarried couples

If you have a partner but aren’t married and want some or all of your belongings to go to them, it’s important that you have an estate plan. California laws do provide for your spouse should you pass away without a will or a trust. This is not the case if you’re not married. There are other considerations as well. For example, should you become incapacitated, you may want this person to make health-related decisions for you, pay your bills or make your financial decisions. The way to do this is to sign a DPA (Durable Power of Attorney) before anything happens to you. This will allow your partner to make decisions for you, should the need arise. You can specify which responsibilities and types of decisions you do and do not want wish for your partner to take on. Regarding your belongings: if you own a home or have savings, your best bet may be to establish a trust. If not, a simple will may suffice. In any case, we do provide a free consultation. Please call our office at (310) 823-3943 to schedule a time for us to meet.