Estate Planning is a necessity for unmarried couples

If you have a partner but aren’t married and want some or all of your belongings to go to them, it’s important that you have an estate plan. California laws do provide for your spouse should you pass away without a will or a trust. This is not the case if you’re not married. There are other considerations as well. For example, should you become incapacitated, you may want this person to make health-related decisions for you, pay your bills or make your financial decisions. The way to do this is to sign a DPA (Durable Power of Attorney) before anything happens to you. This will allow your partner to make decisions for you, should the need arise. You can specify which responsibilities and types of decisions you do and do not want wish for your partner to take on. Regarding your belongings: if you own a home or have savings, your best bet may be to establish a trust. If not, a simple will may suffice. In any case, we do provide a free consultation. Please call our office at (310) 823-3943 to schedule a time for us to meet.

Estate planning is a necessity for unmarried couples